Sunday, May 24, 2009

Day 1 - Monday, May 18, 2009: Amazonas, Rio Negro

By Natalie Thomas

Ah, Brazil. The fear instilled in me by my parents, friends, and doctors that I would simultaneously be robbed, acquire malaria, and be eaten by alligators was quickly allayed upon our arrival. After our flight, we were kindly greeted by the owner of Swallows and Amazons- the river tour guide company- who then guided our bus through Manaus to our riverboat home, the "alves lima" (pictured, right). Before embarking on our Amazon journey, our guides led us through a quick trip to the markets across from the port. The guides were so friendly, knowledgeable, and protective that I immediately knew I was in good hands and that my prior expectations of disaster would not occur.

Just after our boat left dock, we passed over the Meeting of the Waters. At this point (pictured below) where the Rio Negro and Amazon Rivers meet, we viewed dolphins jumping out of the water. The next few hours were spent in awe. The brilliant blue then orange and red sky, fresh air, lightning storms and lightning bugs, and trees of our riverboat trip seemed surreal in comparison to my usual surroundings.

Our evening came toward an end with an unexpectedly extraordinary meal of pasta, roasted chicken over rice, fruit, and salad. With full bellies and jetlag, we claimed hammocks and fell asleep to the sounds of frogs and insects and the smell of bug repellant.

4 comments:

  1. My dear Natalie,

    I would like to say that I am very proud to have lectured for our friends from WVU for 5 years in a row. You guys are great.
    Also, that I would like recommend you to access the Imazon Institute. It started in 1990 and they have already produced 314 scientific articles and 41 books; 70 researchrs and 40 people are directly involved. In 1990 we had 0 (zero) ha of maneuvered land. Now we have 5 million ha. That´s a nice beginning. Now we have science and we came to understand that we need strategic alliances o follow the right track.
    May God blessings keep you always,

    Antonio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Natalie!!!

    Isn't your trip AWESOME!? You wanted to go abroad -- here you have it! I loved learning language tips from the cooks, enjoying sunsets from the deck of the boat, staying with a kind law student in Vitoria, and dancing on the raft.

    Congrats on being ILSA's new treasurer, too!!

    Thanks for lunch right before finals.

    Take care,
    Natalie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Antonio,

    It was an honor to have you lecture for us, and it was so very nice to meet you!
    Thank you for telling me about the Imazon Institute. How can I find out more?

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Natalie,

    Yes, the trip is awesome!!! :) I´m so happy to be here. How many people can say they went pirhanna fishing, held a caiman, hiked through the Amazon, met indigenous Amazonians, made wonderful friends etc etc etc all for a law school class?! Its wonderful!
    I´m so excited for next year with ILSA. We will make you proud, promise!

    Take care and keep in touch!

    Natalie Thomas

    ReplyDelete