Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 12 - Friday, May 29, 2009: A Life Changing Experience

by Shalom Confessor de Aguiar do Amaral
General-Coordinator of the Superior War College
President and Founder, Instituto Política Global (Global Policy Institute)

When I was packing my bags to move to West Virginia University College of Law for a semester of studies, I had no idea of how my life was about to change. It was in the fall semester of 2005. I had the priviledge of being chosen as an exchange student for WVU Law by professors andré cummings and Kevin Outterson to join law classes for a semester and move to the States. First, it was nice to arrive in the U.S. to witness the poetic impressions of the wealthiest country in the world, the people’s way of life, the leaves falling from the maple trees, etc... But then, the real thing began: Hard Classes. For a Brazilian, it wasn’t an easy task to follow the socratic method of classes and for an International Relations studant as myself, to understand the juridical vocabulary in a language other than Portuguese. But, any effort would be worth it.

After a semester of classes in the US, I came back to Brazil full of good memories and great friends left behind, not knowing the future that was waiting for me... I came back to my country and finished my International Relations studies. Soon, I applied to the Superior War College Graduate’s Association Course of Studies in Policy and Strategies. I did it! The semester of studies at WVU College of Law was a surplus distinction on my curricullum. After a year of studies at the War College, they asked me to join their board of directors as Director of Communications. I was pleased at that time as I became the youngest person ever to be in a charge like this in this renowned institution (I was only 27). After a year in that position, I received the invitation to join the charge I am currently in. I became the General-Coordinator of the Superior War College Graduate’s Association in the state of Espírito Santo, Brazil. I am also the President and Founder of an Institute that is widely supported by big companies and universities in the country, called Instituto Política Global (Global Policy Institute).

Now I can look back to my past and consider the point of choosing whether or not to be in the WVU Law-Brazil Program and I am proud of the choices I’ve made in my life. For sure to be in this program was decisive to my future. Every year after I came back, I have been in the program as lecturer, supporter and encouraging sudents to do the same as I did. We have built a great and storng partnership with the Coordinator of this program Professor andré cummings, who became more than a professional contact, but an adviser and a big friend... This engagement represents the success of this program. Thanks a lot to Professor andré cummings and to WVU College of Law for this life-changing (for better) experience.

5 comments:

  1. He is so cute...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, my friend. You are such a nice person. You're the man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We all love Shalom, the very definition of hospitality, kindness, intelligence and generosity.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kevin... thanks lot for your comment. You guys were great.
    Cheers, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shalom is a very nice person. I´m so proud to have a friend like him!
    You deserve everything that you have now!
    Congrats my friend!
    Renan Alves

    ReplyDelete