Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 14 - Sunday, May 31, 2009: Inequality in Brazil and The Beautiful Game

by Kwame Samuda

I was awakened by the sunlight that peaked through the window of my room when I realized that this was my third day in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. In May of 2010 I will reflect back on this day as I walk across a stage in Morgantown, WV and receive a Doctor of Jurisprudence degree. I will reflect back on a day where we discussed the struggles that many individuals have faced and other individuals continue to face because of their race. As I walk across that stage, I will thank my ancestors for making the day possible. Many of my ancestors were taught that they were less than human and that their heritage made them inferior. Yet in the face of adversity, my ancestors stood up against the evil forces of slavery and Jim Crow which have stained our American flag. I will thank the civil rights movement and other movements for teaching me to love and embrace a very rich heritage which is Black. I will pay special homage to the legacies of J.R. Clifford, Charles Hamilton Houston, and Thurgood Marshall for paving a way for me to actualize my dream of becoming an American lawyer.

My time in Brazil has taught me that becoming a Black Brazilian attorney is not very likely. Like America, Brazil is a nation that has been plagued by a slave trade that has had an extremely negative impact on those of darker complexions. However, unlike America, Brazil has not experienced a civil rights movement which has sought to equalize opportunities for all Brazilians. Because of Brazil’s past, many Black Brazilians are unable to compete with those of lighter complexions when it comes to education. Cultural and other sociological underpinnings in Brazil have made it difficult for Black Brazilians to pass the standardized tests which are required for entry into Brazilian universities. Brazil has recognized the evils of its past and the imbalance of opportunities that have resulted in the educational arena. To this end, many Brazilians favor a quota system that will allow underrepresented and historically suppressed Blacks to finally be given an opportunity to attend Brazilian institutions of higher learning. Unfortunately, some individuals have protested this quota system without providing or suggesting any real alternatives. The protests disregard the effects of Brazil’s history and the stain that has been left on its flag.

Again, my story would be highly unlikely had it not been for the civil rights movement and other movements. One such movement has been expressed through popular culture. Popular culture has taught Black Americans to stand up, to embrace themselves, and to reject any notion that Black is inferior. James Brown instructed African-Americans to profess with triumph, “I’m Black and I’m Proud.” India Arie taught African-Americans to embrace “Brown Skin.” Through fashion, Blacks throughout America bravely stood up and acknowledged their heritage by wearing medallions in the shape of Africa that read 100% Black or 100% African. Similarly, today many Brazilians have stood up by wearing t-shirts that display the words 100% Afro-Brazilian or 100% Favela. Black Brazilians are using fashion and popular culture to express self-love in a nation that continues to discriminate at a tremendous level. So why is this important? This is important because it will require a strong sense of self-worth and resilience for Black Brazil to continue its efforts of overcoming disparities, including those in the educational arena. It is my sincere opinion that a continuation of this type of behavior will make it possible for my Black Brazilian brothers and sisters to have a real opportunity at actualizing the types of dreams that will allow them to receive college degrees and professional forms of employment.

Following a rich discussion on race, these are the thoughts that I have been left with. I carried these thoughts with me when we traveled to watch a Futbol match in Maracanã where thousands of fans watched the Flamengo soccer team win an exciting victory. I watched excited fans wave enormous flags to exclaim their strong favor for their favorite soccer team. While I enjoyed the game, I was left to hope that Brazil will soon be able to fill that enormous stadium many times over with Brazilians waving college degrees in the air. It is my hope that these degrees will be waved by individuals that equally represent all Brazilian races.

No comments:

Post a Comment