Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Day 18 - Thursday, June 4, 2009: The Brasilian Perspective

by Giovanna Valli Calmon Pitanga

I want to say thanks to everybody and an especial to Professor cummings, to make this fifth Brazil-US Colloquium on Law, Culture and Politics happen. Definitely I can say that not only the American students but the Brazilian students from UVV and the hosts experienced a wonderful cultural and knowledge exchange. I was one of the lucky persons to participate in all of the lectures and seminars and learned more about court systems between Brazilian and American. I loved the classes, as they were much different than the classes we have in Brazil Law Schools. The Socratic Method is very stimulating and enriching with important issues about our current affairs and intense class discussions. I learned a lot! This was an incredible experience for my studies in law school.

The experience of hosting an American student, Kurt Doiron, was wonderful. He was very conscientious with me and my family. He is a smart guy and it was great to keep him in my house. I was very happy to have the opportunity to talk with him about the Brazilian legal system and American legal system, and it was amazing when he shared all these information and his cases book. I can remember the last breakfast that we had, we talked about Civil Law system as practiced in Brazil and the Common Law system practiced in United States; and the criminal procedure, penalty between Brazil and United States, how much it is very different.

I can imagine how much experience each American had in Brazil. Our country that contains so much diversity cultural, social, economical and nothing could be better than a good exchange program between Law Schools to come here to study and appreciate “Brazilian Life”. The exchange was three weeks, and explored three completely different places in Brazil. First, the Amazon rainforest with all of its natural richness, not only for Brazil, but it belongs to all of us. So that is the reason we must protect the Amazon! Then, Vila Velha/ Vitoria –ES where the students could meet the daily life of Brazilian families, visit the court of the State of Vitoria-ES, learn how the Brazilian judicial system works, experience classes at UVV interspersed with Brazilian teachers and American teachers, with excellent discussions and case studies. And to finalize the trip, the wonderful city of Rio de Janeiro-RJ. I can imagine how these three very different views of Brazil could lead some to a cultural shock, as one experience such large contrasts of Brazilian society. What a unique experience for all life.

I will never forget all of my experiences with the American students as they were mixed with funny activities and rich cultural opportunities. I will always remember when KJ and Kurt played guitar and drums on stage. It was marvelous. On a Wednesday night we had a memorable show in a local bar here in Vitoria with all American students. KJ and Kurt played a lot of music from West Virginia, and all of those WVU's students sang together. The “Country Roads” was Surprising!!! The local band played Brazilian music and some times American music. While the band stopped for a break, the guys took the guitar and drums started to play music from West Virginia. You can imagine that even though I’d been in an exchange program in US, I never had an opportunity to listen to typical, cultural music from some American region, and here in Brazil, in my city I had this privilege.



Participating in the Legal Study Aboard as a host and sharing all of these studies and fun moments was gratifying. I had opportunity at my house to prepare “Muqueca Capixaba” a typical dish from Espirito Santo (my State) together with Kurt, Jonathan, Daniel (Jonathan’s hosts), my mom, my friend Jociane and my cousin Laura. I was very happy to contribute and introduce a little bit of Brazilian culture. I loved to create friendships with Professor John Taylor, Professor Michael Blumenthal, Professor andré cummings and all American students from West Virginia University Law School. And also I still had opportunity to know some life’s histories about some students. Thank you Professor cummings and everybody that shared such experiences and brought their culture. For me, the exchange was only one week, but was One week is forever!!!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent! I've found you! I've not spoken to you in forever! I still have the cookbook! Still have Bruno the cat? He must be old by now!

    I would like to speak to you about Greenpeace and enviromental law soon if you have time. Oh, and Petrobras!

    email me at: nx330mustang at gmail dot com if you can!

    ReplyDelete