Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 10 - Wednesday, May 27, 2009: Vitoria and Vila Velha

by Kurt Doiron

One of the most interesting aspects of Brazilian culture is a willingness to speak directly without much consideration for social stigmas. Late one afternoon I was invited to speak with some freshmen students that were learning English at UVV, and during our conversation we wandered into some controversial territory. Our discussion seemed to focus on the differences between typical American perceptions of Brazil and the reality I came to know during my visit. Despite my trepidations, I just spoke my mind. It gave me the kind of feeling you get when you break up with someone and you’re telling them what you really think. However, unlike a break up situation where each party departs in anger and frustration, our discussion fostered more of an understanding about one another and led to the discovery of new similarities between our two cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment