Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Day 10 - Wednesday, May 27, 2009: Garoto Chocolate Factory, Vila Velha

by Crystal Bombard

Today we woke up and met at the school around 10 a.m. This was the first day that we got to sleep in, but I have to admit that I did not get much sleep. I had been waiting for this day since we first arrived in Manaus. Today we toured the Garoto Chocolate Factory. We arrived at the factory at 11 a.m. and proceeded to put on our hair nets and protective clothing. Needless to say none of us are very upset that Garoto wouldn’t allow cameras on the tour. We all waited to divide up in groups for our tour, and many were surprised that I didn’t jump to go on the first tour, but little did they know that I had done my homework and spoke with my host, Monique, so that I could really make the most out of our visit. I waited until there were only six of us left, and we made up the final group to tour the factory. As excited as i was to get to the factory, I knew that by going in the final group we would not be rushed at the sample stations, and thus we would be able to eat as much chocolate as we wanted.

As soon as we entered the factory we were all overcome by the smell of chocolate. Our first stop was the line where they make filled chocolates. Most of us found ourselves with our hands in our pockets trying not to reach on the line to take a piece. The hardest part was passing by a bucket of "mistakes," which looked perfect to all of us. After we finished seeing how they fill the chocolate we were able to sample six different kinds of chocolate. Again, I had gotten some insider info to not fill up at the first station because they save the best candy for the end of the tour. At the next stop we were able to see where they make bon bons. First they made the shell, then they filled the shell with different fillings, and finally it was coated with a dark chocolate and then a second coat of milk chocolate. Next, we saw how they box the finished product before finally ending our tour with a final tasting. Our tour ended with a trip to the Garoto store, where we all stocked up on chocolate to bring home to our family and friends, or in my case, chocolate that I will give to people and end up eating every time I visit their house.

From the chocolate factory, we all loaded onto our bus and headed to lunch at La Villa. After lunch we visited Pehna Convent (pictured, left). As much as I loved Garoto, this turned out to be my favorite place that we have visited thus far. We arrived at the bottom of a very long cobblestone road that was surrounded by the forest with the option to walk or catch a bus. I attempted to make the walk with Professor Blumenthal, but about halfway up we gave up and caught a ride. When we arrived at the top we found ourselves at the foot of the convent. It stands on top of a bed or rocks and is painted white with blue trim. Once you climb the stairs, you reach a point where you can see Vitoria and Vila Velha and the bridge that connects the two cities. It was one of the most amazing views that I have ever seen with the two enormous cities, the ocean, and the mountains surrounding us. We then entered the 450 year old convent, which is filled with statues and paintings. It was so beautiful and peaceful that most of us found ourselves walking alone and simply trying taking it all in. There were also several people inside the chapel praying. It was a great experience for the group and something that I will never forget.

We left the convent and returned to UVV where our hosts were waiting to take us home. We had a free evening to spend with them. Some of our group went to a small bar to watch a soccer game, but Monique and her mother took me to this amazing bakery with stands of fresh bread and baked goods. After a day of chocolate this was probably the last thing that I needed, but it was delicious. We then went home for a little while before heading to the mall. Every student that I met from UVV was nothing short of amazing, but I am confident that I was so lucky to be placed with Monique. At the mall she surprised me with photos that she had taken through out the week and a teddy bear to take back to West Virginia to remember her by, not that there was a chance that I could forget her or her amazing family.

Today was a really great day. We all had a lot of fun at the chocolate factory and lunch and followed that with a truly amazing trip to the convent and some free time to spend with our host families.

No comments:

Post a Comment